Monday, April 16, 2012

Punchline

Are you like me?  I can remember the punchline but not what leads up to it or vice versa.  While I like to think I’m a good storyteller, I’m not good with jokes.

Although I do remember one from my youth, back when TV was black and white.   There was Dick Clark on American Bandstand asking a boy to say the phrase, “What am I doing?” four different ways, like emphasizing one word each time.

Jokes aren’t the only things with punchlines.   Ads often have them.  I like those that are clever, but of course clever runs the gamut from the Three Stooges to Lily Tomlin to Doonesbury or the Far Side.  One current ad campaign that I think is clever is the new “fair and square” slogan and logo for JCPenney.  It hasn’t gotten me into their store yet, but who knows?
Sometimes waiting for the other shoe to drop is like waiting for the punchline.  Maybe that’s where the phrase, “Life is one big joke” came from.
Do you remember learning about laughter or jokes and what was supposed to be funny?  Sure, we probably all went thru the ‘knock knock’ stage.  My conundrum was with the elephant jokes – How do you know there was an elephant in your refrigerator?  By the footprints in the butter.  Some of them had us in stitches and others were a ‘huh?’  Or coming of age and not quite understanding the dirty jokes.
My cat Millie and friend
A friend has told me one reason we are good friends is that we laugh at the same things.  It’s true.  Laughter builds a great bridge.  But what we laugh at can also divide and get people into trouble.   The Chicago Tribune runs a poll to determine which comic strips to keep.  How can one compare Peanuts to Zits or Dick Tracey?  
It’s actually good that what tickles my funny bone may not do a thing to yours.  Variety provides that spice.  But what I really celebrate today is when we can share a laugh, or even a smile. 
Other than one friend who is studying humor, I think we all need more intentional laughter in our lives.  Is there anything surefire in your life that makes you laugh?
Oh, back to Dick Clark.  The answer is “Making a fool of yourself!”  Now, did you hear the one about….?

1 comment:

  1. I find a lot of pop culture humor builds on things that make us uncomfortable (e.g., Meet the Parents). I often wonder if this is harmful in the sense that it makes us less empathetic-- i.e., more apt to laugh at others in difficult situations?-- or more attune to that which is universally (or at least culturally) uncomfortable.

    But for me, little kids' perspectives on the world is the surefire way to make me laugh, a la Kids Say the Darnedest Things. :) My nieces say the funniest things, but I might be biased...

    ReplyDelete