Sunday, June 24, 2012

Enough, too much, need more

Whenever I buy clothing and the clerk asks, “Do you want it on the hanger?” I always say, “No, thanks.  They multiply in the closet.”  Yet somehow, every year, I end up taking a bag of hangers to Goodwill.  That trip this week made me think of today's topic.

Enough

There is an exercise I heard described.  A group of students are invited to a special meal.  When they arrive they draw a random number from a basket and then sit around a table all decked out for a holiday.  The host then asks, ‘Who’s got number 5?”  The kid raises her hand and the host calls to the kitchen.  Out comes someone carrying a tray holding a plate of beans and puts it front on the student.  Number 6 gets 2 hot dogs; number 8, one scoop of plain rice; number 3 gets a meal from KFC; and so on.  It may take a while, but ultimately the kids figure out that there is enough food in the room to feed everyone if they share.
Me?  I want:

§  To recognize 'enough' sooner.
§  Enough tension so that the rubber band of my life is stretched to be obviously in use.  I don’t want it to be slack or pulled too tight so it will snap.
§  Enough cardinals and finches in balance with the sparrows, mourning doves and starlings.

Ø  What’s your ‘enough’ story or wish?

Too much
When we were cleaning out my mother’s apartment we found more than 50 packages of dental floss and a couple of months ago I discovered in the depths of my cupboard that I’ll never have to buy another razor. 

For me:
§  It’s the season where there are too many times when I want to turn off the TV or radio.    There is too much rhetoric, posturizing, finger-pointing, and, indeed hatred in print or the airwaves that poisons our political process.
§  There is too much noise.
§  There are too many choices for so much in our lives.

Ø  What’s your ‘too much’ line item?

Need more
Here’s where I’m putting more energy.  I want to discover or create more:

§  Pleasant surprises, like on my walk this morning when I suddenly heard chickens on the other side of a wooden fence.  Yes, here in suburbia.
§  Woo hoo moments to celebrate with friends
§  Laughter in the everyday events
§  Authors like those I enjoy
§  Opportunities to participate in the arts of all kinds, even if I don’t do well or even like what I see or hear
§  Chances to be proud of my country.

Ø  What’s your ‘more’ dream or action plan?

Would love to hear how you answer some of the questions!  Meanwhile, I wish you enough of the basics, too many hugs to count and fewer problems this week.
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment