Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Corner Store

We must adjust to changing times and still hold to unchanging principles. Jimmy Carter

At the end of the block on the street where I grew up was Jordan’s.  You know the kind of place.  Shelves that contain a little bit of everything to save you a trip to the grocery or hardware store and where you could get a grape popsicle for a nickel or a pretzel stick for 2¢.

Since my move earlier this month I now drive a new way to the office and pass several corner stores.  Most of them have red lettering on large yellow signage that simply states Grocery Store and smaller lettering that tells what they offer.  Words like Nachos or Submarines are common, but what has really caught my attention are the various specialties or items that the grocer believes will attract customers.   For example, one advertises “We have meats and greens” while another posts “socks and boxers.”   One says “cigarettes” versus one farther down the street that lists “tobacco products.”  
My favorite, however, is “Full Line of Groceries” on one corner and “Full Line of Human Hair” a few blocks later.  It’s a sign (pun intended) of the changed and changing times.  Grape popsicles with the double wooden sticks are a memory, as is a 2¢anything (except for an opinion).  Local proprietors must cater to the residents of their neighborhoods and maybe those who might be passing through.

The communities I live in are more likely to have a CVS on the corner than an independent store.  So I’ve been thinking.  Those stores that I pass by: what would they need to post that would get me to stop in?  I don’t know that I have an answer but I do know that nostalgia has me sometimes longing for the simple times of Jordan’s.  What about you?

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment