Sunday, July 28, 2013

Different Kinds of Tears

It is such a secret place, the land of tears.  Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

Do commercials ever get to you, tug at your heartstrings?  There was a Folger’s ad that ran around the holidays. A college kid got out of a car, turned, and entered a house.  Then he was in the kitchen pouring a mug of coffee. Mom stands in the doorway (inference being that she was wakened by the smell of great coffee brewing), and says with surprise and joy, “Peter, you’re home!”   I have no clue why that one always choked me up, but it did.
Can a happy or sad movie ending make you weepy?  Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr at the end of An Affair to Remember (“If it had to happen to one of us, why did it have to be you?”) is a guarantee Kleenex-worthy moment for me.  Perhaps for you it was a scene in Titanic, Gone with the Wind, South Pacific, or Saving Private Ryan. 

What about music?  Our reaction can be soul deep.  I see people dabbing their eyes during How Great Thou Art in church or You’ll Never Walk Alone at a graduation.  I cannot get through the verses of some hymns.  The words get blurry.  Our national anthem, even at a baseball game, can make me teary. 

But beyond all that, beyond the weddings and funerals, in the day to day, what is your crying pattern? Some people cry easily, be they authentic or crocodile tears.  One friend calls herself a sympathetic crier, that is, if someone else is crying she will also cry.  Another friend spent months dealing with grief and sobbed uncontrollably every day.  Crying is part of our humanity.  Parents can differentiate between a child’s angry, hurt, or lonely tears.  Whether it is conditioning (“don’t be a crybaby”), what we are told (“real men don’t cry”), something cultural or deeply personal, it may be a challenge to know our own true crying nature as an adult.  One friend can point to the exact part in his brain where he knows he is crying for something or someone, although his eyes are dry. 
I do not cry.  That is, I do not cry tears.  Not very often.  No one told me that there are different ways to cry.  This was something I came to on my own.  It used to bother me, made me feel different and inadequate because I couldn’t cry actual tears for the realities of life.

No longer.
A story on the evening news can impact me greatly and I will sigh.  That sigh is me crying.  A colleague or friend is suffering and we hug.  That hug includes thoughts that are tears.  I understand the value in a good cry and occasionally long for that type of release, but rarely in my adult life have I benefitted from it.  I now know that for pain and sorrow and even for joy – either mine or of someone dear – when I get very, very still, I am crying.

Whatever your natural release that means tears, I hope that you can welcome and honor them when they are needed.  I have learned to and it makes a difference.  It makes them sacred and sacred things are often best when shared.  American poet Clarissa Pinkola Estes wrote, “I hope you will go out and let stories happen to you, and that you will work them, water them with your blood, tears, and laughter until they bloom, til you yourself burst into bloom.”
Marilyn

July 29, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment