Sunday, September 15, 2013

That's What I'm Here For

The nurse responds to the call button and the patient says, “It really hurts.  Please give me something for the pain.”

“That’s what I’m here for.”
A weary airline passenger needing help with connections approaches the information booth and sees a friendly face.  “I’m really turned around and don’t know where I’m supposed to go.”

“That’s what I’m here for.”
You thank your boss for helpful feedback on an important presentation.

“That’s what I’m here for.”
While dealing with an inquisitive toddler new parents discover a passion and ability to nurture.  A recent graduate lands a dream job.  Newlyweds learn to balance their discord and harmony.   Inwardly they all sigh, “Ah, that’s what I’m here for.”

Do you ever feel a need for a deep down understanding of “That’s what I’m here for?”  I can tell you some things I’ve learned from dear ones which to me indicate, at least in part, what they’re here for.  One friend’s joie de vivre is infectious and reminds those around her to appreciate every moment and every beautiful thing. Another is a great risk taker and shows us that the safe path isn’t necessarily the most rewarding.  I know thoughtful decision makers who can help others process tough issues, careful listeners, and practical doers.  I am lucky to have friends with sympathetic shoulders and ones who will challenge me to think and explore.
But when I hold up the mirror to think about Robert Byrne’s sentence “The purpose of life is a life of purpose,” I wonder if I’m fulfilling my purpose.  I have a sense of calling and contentment that I’m where I’m supposed to be and doing what I’m meant to do but have never internalized it on the broader scale as “That’s what I’m here for.”  I’m going to ponder on this.  Meanwhile, I’ll follow what the Dalai Lama has said, “Our prime purpose in this life is to help others.  And if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.”

Marilyn
When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor.  It is to enjoy each step along the way.  Wayne Dyer

1 comment: