Sunday, March 23, 2014

Looking to the Future

“View the present through the future,” was the concept of an article I recently read.  We are usually told to learn from the past, looking at mistakes, whether our own or others.  That makes sense.  Looking through the future, hmmm, I originally thought, not so much. 

But, then I remembered Roger Bannister’s tenet – “I pictured myself running a 4 minute mile.”  And there’s the business theory of ‘act as though you have the job you want,’ and the ‘dress for the part’ maxim which applies not just to actors.  Christians see Good Friday with Easter eyes.
You probably know other principles that can help us not just get through difficult times but come out the other side a better or healthier person.  Those who have faced a debilitating or life-threatening situation often learn this.  Those who problem-solve the hard things facing them and then implement some solutions know this.

Is there something that might prevent you from trying a future lens concept? There are habits of old that are barriers for me, which is ironic since I’m usually 5 minutes ahead of myself.  A big challenge for me even in normal times is to be enough in the now.  I’m one of those, ‘let’s move along’ people.  When hard times come, it is doubly hard for me to remain in the moment enabling me to experience the pain, the sorrow, the whatever, deeply enough and effectively enough to be as done with it as I can be.
My normal tendency was reinforced by a precept I adopted from my church upbringing.  That proverb was ‘pray about it and it will go away.’ When whatever ‘it’ was didn’t go away, the fault was always mine.  I wasn’t praying hard enough or in the right way.  This passive way of dealing and feeling did not help me face things, work through things, take responsibility, or facilitate change. Not to say that prayer isn’t important or needed, for I believe it is, for people of any faith.  It just doesn’t work to offer something up and think you can then ignore it. The Creator gave us resources.  Common sense. Emotions. One another. Time. 

The next challenging situation that comes along for me, I’m going to try looking back, staying in the present, and seeing what type of future lens might help.  Perhaps such a plan could work for you as well.
Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment