Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Woulda, coulda, shoulda

As the analysts - professional and armchair - rehash the events and feelings that got us here as a nation, I have to do my own reflections and take some of the blame for the outcome of the election. At no point this year did I write a check or volunteer, and worse, at no point did I even try to engage with anyone outside of my comfortable circle who mostly share a similar world and social view. I'll admit I also mostly tuned out because I had enough stress in my life and didn't want to deal with the hate and fear that the headlines touted. Besides, I was confident in an American people who saw through rhetoric and who truly, at their core, believed in equality for all. I went to bed last night when the map was mostly red, confident that it would be different in the morning. I didn't know how out of touch I was.

Now that I do know, the question for today is, what do I do about that?

Now, in the shock and grief and sadness, I want to: 

• Thank Hillary and tell her to not beat herself up.
• Thank all those who did work hard on my behalf and in my stead.
• Not be bitter.
• Not listen to analysts, just let this election be done and turn the page.
• Burrow deeper into my own world.

Yes, that last one is true. But, it's not the answer. Instead I will use this wakeup call that reminded us that feelings are more powerful than facts, to commit to finding the energy to engage in something that will facilitate a change I believe is needed. There is an organization where I've considered volunteering. It's time to take one step, however small it might be. It's time to get involved.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment