Sunday, December 04, 2016

I've got your number

When I was a a youngster trying out some childish trick on my Uncle Bob, he would wink, give a sly grin while pointing a finger at me and say, "I've got your number!" He understood I was trying to pull something over on him. Last week I responded to a salesperson offering some type of service for the office with, 'Yes, well, if we ever need it, I've got your number." Whether used professionally or personally, when that phrase is said in that tone or those circumstances, both parties know the piece of paper or business card with the number on it will usually be thrown away. However, there are those rare times when numbers have been exchanged and when the feeling is, "I've got your number. Would 5 minutes from now be soon to call?" indicating romance, excitement and possibilities.

As an adult, we look at others and say, like my Uncle Bob, "I've got your number" with the thought that I've got you figured out, I know what you are trying to do, what motivates you or how you will react. During the recent campaign everyone looked at each of the candidates and concluded, "I've got your number!" After looking at who is now our president-elect, more people voted for an alternative than for him. Unfortunately, from my perspective, where all those votes were cast provides a sad lesson in civics. 

Regardless of who was elected, a large portion of the population would always continue to hold to the "I've got your number" philosophy and look for indications and evidence they were right, that the winner is indeed a trickster. Had Hillary won, someone else would be writing a blog similar to this. But now I am among those who are saying "I've got your number" and I'm concerned. A problem when I think I have someone's number - or they think they have mine - is that after a few instances that prove our initial belief, we put that person in a box. We don't allow them to easily change or even challenge them to do so. If someone who has my number suggests ever so gently that I might try something different, I probably don't make it easy for them, or vice versa, because, after all we've got each others' numbers.

So, our collective problem may become complacency when what we need to be is over-diligent and pay careful, thoughtful and close attention to identify the tricks we sense in the works and let him know he can't get away with it. I hope to see headlines in prominent papers and hear mainstream reporters call a lie, a lie. I want respected and knowledgable pundits to watch equally all the balls in the air, not just where an arrow of misdirection might point at the moment. I want the energy to engage, for I think we will tire very quickly of having to react to every oversimplification, claim and outrageous promise that underscores that we have his number.

But I also hope to see and hear accolades where deserved. While I expect those to be few, I do have faith in the process and that individuals can rise to the occasion. After all, he looks at us and thinks, "You think you've got my number, but I've got yours and I may just surprise you." 

I hope so.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment