Sunday, December 17, 2017

Gut instincts

Leaving New York to go to college in Illinois was my first major life decision where I followed my gut. It wasn’t practical, for I had scholarships to several schools in my home state. It wasn’t easy, for I had no role models, and it wasn’t supported within my family who wanted me close. It simply felt right for me and that decision became my touchstone for understanding that I need to do what is right for me, regardless of external pressure.

Twice I have left jobs without another job to go to because it felt right. At the time I didn’t realize all of the factors leading me away, or at least couldn’t articulate them. In one instance, my attitude had become so negative I didn’t know any way out without leaving the situation entirely. Some in my circle shake their heads at the three moves I’ve made in the last six years, and while each could be justified, my gut instinct said they were the right moves. Each home has had its pros and cons, but the biggest pro always was the gut factor. Even at the office in creating procedures, sometimes I have to follow the gut policy when there are no best practices available or when making an exception that may not make sense on paper.

When I coach or mentor, I may suggest the making of lists, evaluating or even weighting factors one way or another, but then the final question is always, “What does your gut say?” Now, this is not the 1960s ribald motto of ‘if it feels right do it.’ This is a deep, visceral, very personal final check that I sometimes forget when caught up in the throes of a crisis. In these hectic days pushing toward the end of 2017, I need to pay more attention to what these lifelong lessons should have taught me. Maybe you’ve got a similar thermometer as well and want to check in with it to be better prepared to end the year on a high note and be ready for what awaits us in the new year.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment