Sunday, March 04, 2018

Some random thoughts on housekeeping


For two summers of my college years I worked as a maid at the Howard Johnson’s by the Greater Buffalo International Airport. Each morning I was part of a crew that grabbed a green cotton uniform, loaded up a cart, and then headed off to our block of rooms for that day. After semesters of sitting in classes, piano practice and dorm rooms, chapel, and library cubicles, doing something physical felt good.

As #MeToo stories emerged and maids and housekeepers shared some of their experiences, I was not surprised, although nothing happened to me back then. All I had was some audible entertainment from one room as I cleaned next door, particularly on Tuesdays when a certain couple kept their standing afternoon appointment.

One can outsource the tasks associated with maintaining a clean home. Back in my yuppie days, I did that for a while, but for me that was more about status than it was about being practical. That’s because I enjoy cleaning, well, except for vacuuming, so I’m grateful for all the places where I’ve had hardwood floors.

Manufacturers have responded to the increase in our accumulated stuff by offering a multitude of products designed to make the job of cleaning them easier. All that has done is add more chemicals to our lives. Lemon juice, vinegar, linseed oil and borax are probably all that is really needed. Oh, and elbow grease.

The industry standards for my HoJo job were not that different from how my mother had kept house for decades. A sibling or roommate can teach us, however, that there are various levels of comfort regarding dust, clutter, spills and dirt. What passes my white glove test may not pass yours, which is what came to mind the other day when I took a picture off the wall to dust the frame and realized I hadn’t done that since I moved in 18 months ago. I thought, “Oops, time to get back to some basics around here and do some spring cleaning.” Luckily, the Lose It app tells me that one hour of housekeeping burns 203 calories!

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment