Sunday, April 29, 2018

Truth in the construction zone

A marquee on the shoulder of the road I take to the office has two messages spelled in orange capital letters. The phrases shift back and forth. It doesn’t matter which one I see first on any given morning. I know the other one will follow, just as the reality of their words do in life outside the construction zone. 

Work in progress. Expect delays.
Expect delays. Work in progress.

We are all works in progress and often need to give ourselves the grace to honor delays when they happen, no matter how they happen. I’ve found it rather healthy to be reminded of that at the beginning of every day. If you’ve got orange cones, signs and detours also popping up all around you, see what correlation you can find between the message and your life. It’s an interesting experiment.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. I wonder whether the expect delays part of that message sends a bad vibe to the worker and becomes self-fulfilling.

    ReplyDelete