Sunday, December 15, 2013

Santa and the Tree

When I was four Santa brought not only the presents but also the tree.  And then he stayed and decorated it!  When I came downstairs that Christmas morning, the grown-ups waiting to watch my amazement and wonder at the transformation of the living room included my parents, grandma and her cousin Jenny, and Aunt Dorothy and Uncle Bob.  I hope that my reactions met their expectations.   My only memory of the day is my mother saying, “Santa only does this once for every child.”

By the following Christmas, the year I got my Annie Oakley outfit and a Japanese doll sent by my brother who was stationed there, things had changed.  A kindergarten classmate had spent her minute at Show & Tell really telling.  By the next year Grandma was gone, my brother was married and living in DC, and I was old enough to begin to understand and look forward to some traditions.
Four has got to be the perfect age for the magic of the season.  As an adult I can appreciate all of the work that went into that one evening, as the family lovingly created a corner of wonder for a child.  I hope there was laughter amid the stress of “more lights on top” or “too many red ornaments together,” that music was playing, and that those elves retained fond memories of that holiday night.

My four-year-old self remembers one other thing about Christmas that year.  The anticipation.  There is no picture of me sitting on Santa’s lap, but there is this, the picture of me that Christmas Eve, innocence, ready for bed and looking forward to the surprises ahead.  This season may we all find that piece of ourselves that can relate to wonder.  Whether for you the surprise is the babe in the manger, the need is the promise of a fresh start in a New Year, or you enjoy the camaraderie of peace on earth symbolized by time with relatives rarely seen, I hope you are able to approach the end of 2013 with a childlike view in some parts of your life.  
You may be amazed at what that child truly finds.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment