Sunday, December 08, 2013

When Words Lose Their Meaning

Author John Updike wrote, “Our brains are no longer conditioned for reverence and awe.”  I wonder if that is because for most of our waking moments we are bombarded with words.   The invasion is constant. The content consists of diverse and divergent images and marketed and imposed feelings.  I think we’ve become immune to some words’ intended impact and meaning.

As an author I love words.  I love learning new things about words.  Did you know that a flock of buzzards is called a ‘wake,’ a group of eagles is a ‘convocation,’ and a gathering of wrens is a ‘chime?’  I relish joyful situations where ‘words are not enough’ and grieve those circumstances when ‘there are no words.’  We all chuckle at some Old English, wonder what Shakespeare really meant, and marvel at poets whose concise language evokes intense images and feelings.  I cringe with misuse, shake my head at the ‘word of the year, and wonder what Daniel Webster would do with some modern language. 
Three things converged to raise this issue.  I just spent a week with someone who continually used ‘awesome,’ a word that has evolved from its original use of ‘causing feelings of wonder and fear with a sense of reverence’ s far back as the 1500s, to being slang for ‘excellent.’ 

The second thing is that the world lost an awe-inspiring leader this week.  To call Nelson Mandela awesome is appropriate, and, I will grant that even today’s definition of excellence applies; however, the overuse of the word makes it inadequate and I long to use it in his memory. 
Finally, this is a time of year when I think the original meaning and modern definition are both called for.  Hanukkah and Christmas are seasons of miracles.  I’m hoping for the miracle of good will from all to all around the globe.  Now, wouldn’t that be truly awesome?

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an excellent example of the transformation of the meanings of words, not necessarily the "loss" of their meaning. I am reminded of our discussion this morning about the language used by Shakespeare as opposed to the language used today. Even still, certain words throughout the United States have different meanings, although slight in difference, they are brought on by demography, dialect, immigration, environment, and many other factors. For example, a "coke" to me is a specific brand of soda pop, while for Betsy or your acquaintances in South Carolina a "coke" simply means any type of soda pop. Words have been transforming in meaning (and language, literally!) since the spoken word came into existence! The creation of language is in fact a transformation of other languages (i.e. English/Spanish/Anything and Latin, or Creole for that matter). I could keep going...I love languages, and I love this post, Marilyn. Thank you for sharing. Just imagine what the English language will look like in 100 or 1,000 years!

    ReplyDelete