Sunday, November 16, 2014

More than five senses

Perhaps you are like me and didn’t get the memo about the time and place they were handing out the sense of direction gene so consequently I have none. From the time as a new driver when I got lost on my way to a babysitting job to last month coming home from Evanston, I take wrong turns and usually have no idea whether I should go left or right – and please, do not tell me north, south, east or west!

Do you go through times when it seems like your sense of humor has deserted you? As I sit here trying to recall the last time I laughed until I cried, one instance popped into my head, reminding me of a sense of connection with others.
Lately I’ve been missing a sense of accomplishment. While yes, in my new home everything has found a place and I gave myself a high five when I flattened and recycled the last box, there are still so many things on my to-do list, and at work it seems that nothing of high priority actually gets finished.  However, at both home and the office I do have a sense of place.

On some days I see so many indications in society that we’ve lost all sense of propriety, but I ask myself if that is all bad. I do worry however, about the lack of a sense of responsibility and accountability that reflects a diminished sense of right and wrong. Just reading the headlines backs me up on this.
As my generation begins to face trifocals and hearing aids and other issues with our five physical senses, we also share a sense of loss when each elder dies and now have deeper holes in our lives as we lose peers.

I'm sure you know other senses that should be mentioned and hope you'll share as I close with one that concerns me greatly. We have lost touch with our sense of wonder, collectively and individually. A colleague’s two and a half year old ran down the alley last Thursday and with glee yelled, “It’s snowing!” as she twirled with arms outstretched and face looking up at the sky. This week, let’s all concentrate on reconnecting with that sense of awe we had when we were that young and that takes us out of ourselves and into the sweet wonders of the world that is always around us.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment