Sunday, March 06, 2016

Using our wings

When was the first time you flew? I don't mean in a plane. I mean when you conquered something you were afraid of. Maybe it was speaking in front of the class or performing at a piano recital, or when the training wheels came off your bike or slept without a light on for the first time. How about when friends double-dared you? If, unlike Flick in The Christmas Story, your tongue didn't get stuck on the pole and you succeeded at whatever they dared, your spirit flew. You then had the satisfaction of doing the 'nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah' chant at the gang that didn't think you had the courage.

Do you remember that feeling? The joy. The exuberance. The thrill. Even the relief as your spirit soared. How did those feelings manifest themselves? Maybe for you it was a quiet smirk. Perhaps your energetic self jumped around the yard or ran into the arms open and waiting to congratulate you. How did you celebrate? Were you alone in your rejoicing or was it shared? Did you get the equivalent of high fives? Did you go right back and do that hard thing again? 
If those are the early memories of using your wings, when was the last time? When recently did you try something new or did something hard and felt your spirit soar? Even a little? 
These days, it's a different kind of satisfaction, but no less needed and rewarding than when we were young. Trying to master, or even be semi-decent at, a new skill takes the patience and courage we may have forgotten. Too often we find a comfort zone and remain in it rather than stretching its borders. People important to me have done mid-life career changes, moved across or out of the country, found and left relationships, learned a new language. They've balanced the risks, managed the trepidation with laughter, and used their wings.
Me? I try new forms of art, discover new authors, learn new computer stuff (when I have to), but that's all fairly routine. Sometimes I spread my wings with this musing. But it is spring, and I'm feeling the need to do something daringly new. I'm going to look around for an opportunity to exercise my wings differently and encourage you to do the same. Let me know how you choose to soar.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. At the moment, I am too sore to soar, figuratively. But I shall keep the inspiration for the right time.

    ReplyDelete