Sunday, August 28, 2016

All hands on deck

There are times in our lives when we need all hands on deck. A situation arises, whether at home, work or in the neighborhood, when we rally all co-workers, family and friends or even call in reinforcements to get something accomplished quickly or to keep what is cherished safe. On Saturday, I had twenty hands on deck to help pack up all my belongings in preparation for my move this week.

Two moves ago I realized I just couldn't do all the packing myself, so I threw a packing party. Friends were invited to stop by and pack one box or stay the whole five hours. At the end of the afternoon everything was done and I hadn't packed one box. To me, there now is no other way to handle a move. 

My job for this particular all-hands-on-deck situation is three-fold. First, I have to do the prep work. Besides required resources like boxes, tape, newspapers, bubble wrap, scissors and markers gathered in readiness, prep also involved four trips to Goodwill. That means I got unnecessary things or what could be distractions out of the way. Prep means organizing and thinking about the how and where boxes could be easily assembled and planning for sufficient work space. Oh, and, of course refreshments, although this time workers even provided most of that.

During the party my job was to provide some direction and answer questions. To tell stories about a certain item as it was being wrapped in newspapers. To make sure that people weren't doing too much, that we took occasional breathers, that there was camaraderie. As folks left throughout the day or at 4:30 p.m., when all 75 boxes were taped and labeled, they went home with a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure we all slept soundly. 

Which brings me to the last part of my job, which is the acknowledgement. G.K. Chesterton wrote, "When it comes to life, the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude." I may have taken for granted that some and enough folks would show up to get the work done, but it is was with profound gratitude that I opened the door to greet them and then, after their labor, sent them on their way. But allow me to say again, to Kathy, Sue, Sharon, Donna, Ruth, Rose, Suzy, Nydia, Marilyn and Cindy, thank you for being my friend and for your all hands on deck attitude. My life is richer because you are in it.

Now there are those who can't imagine handling their packing this way. That's fine, but I challenge you to find an all-hands-on-deck event of your own making. It's much better than an emergency forcing one's hand. These come-together times are rewarding, heartwarming and reassuring.

Oh, un-packing is this coming weekend. All hands are welcome!

Marilyn

1 comment: