Sunday, September 04, 2016

Attention to detail

We recently needed to purchase fireproof file cabinets. Each cabinet weighs 500 pounds, so after ensuring that the flooring could handle the additional stress, I needed the appropriate space to be available when they were delivered. This was a great opportunity to do more organizing – certain departments needed more storage while others could do some consolidating. After lots of measuring and negotiating, on File Cabinet Domino Day, movers shifted around 10 cabinets to have the right spots for the new heavy cabinets.

I moved to my new home over the weekend. On Friday, a wonderful friend and a hired teen packed up our cars with plants, groceries and treasures. I've moved enough to know that a folding chair needs to be part of the pre-move schlepping. My friend, who has moved more often than me, was impressed with the chair for she always ended up sitting on the floor to rest after scrubbing or while simply waiting. Move day itself requires having things ready, labeled, giving clear directions, as well as lots of water and energy snacks for the workers. The grapes in the afternoon were a big hit with Andrew and Stephen, while Mark and Tony went for the chocolate chip cookies.

So, while I can do the details, mostly I think of myself as a big picture person. I like painting the broad strokes and letting others consider the particulars. Well, what I really like best is collaboration, where my broad strokes are enhanced and flushed out with others’ input, and the details they create are improved with my review or by others we add to the team.

One would think that such collaboration, where everyone is allowed to play to their strengths, would enable teams to do their best work. I don’t think that is always true. We all need to learn how to function outside of our comfort zones. 

My life is richer because of the situations that have made me stretch or wear alternative hats even if I’m not always happy about it. This week I’ll be hiring a new team member. While I’ll be looking for someone who is detail oriented because that’s what the job calls for, I really need someone who is willing to take on opportunities to help them stretch and ultimately challenge me. What new hat are you ready and willing to try on today?


Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment