Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sunrise/Sunset

One of my favorite things this time of year is watching the morning sky. Driving east on the Eisenhower into the City on my way to work, I see the pinks and whites and hues of blue that range from bright to baby to grey, along with a bit of orangish yellow as the sun rises above the skyline of Chicago. Each sunrise says look, face things, do.

People who know me know that I am really a sunset person. A sunset has a different kind of feeling than the sunrise. Sunsets bring a sense of accomplishment, of closing, a cozy let's-settle-in-a comfy-chair. I've seen more sunsets than sunrises and over various bodies of water and landscapes around the country and somewhat around the world. 

Well, maybe I've just paid more attention to sunsets. Now, when according to the calendar I'm in the sunset of my life, I'm studying sunrises more. Perhaps because sunrises represent beginnings they have tweaked my interest. I'm paying closer attention because I'm feeling a sunrise in different parts of my life. It's been nearly a year since the word cancer was mentioned. It's gone, cut out in one final action, and the odds are it won't come back. The fact I had it, didn't know I had it, and got rid of it relatively easily is something I've been mulling in the nether regions of my brain for months. Something finally shifted inside to allow me to focus on personal sunrises. Yesterday was Easter. Last Tuesday was the start of Passover. Both mark a sunrise in faith and in history. But they came with a cost, following a very dark sunset. Today there is a new sunrise where I work. We have a new boss, so it's beginnings professionally also.

Later this year I plan on seeing glorious sunsets flowing into spectacular night skies out West. But, I will make sure that I'm up to enjoy some sunrises as well. It's good, but not necessarily an easy choice, to focus on beginnings. Where are you? Are there any good sunrises you can concentrate on for today?

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment