Sunday, October 29, 2017

The hot seat

One day last week I clicked on a link with a headline something like "12 jobs that no longer exist." I read about telephone operators, candlemakers, the town crier and lamplighters, among others. Later that chilly day, for the first time this season I clicked on the button that activates the seat warmer in my car. When I thought about combining those two clicks, I wondered if back in the medieval days, there was some servant with a wide backside whose job it was to sit on a chair to make sure it was warm for the master or mistress of the house. After all, those castles were drafty and cold, and if there were food tasters and lady's maids, then why not someone to ensure a warm seat in a damp and dank chamber?

I rather liked the idea, but have not googled to see if such a task fell to any domestic help of the time. Of course, those literal hot seats are pleasant, comfortable and comforting, but we've all been on a hot seat that are not any of those. When we've gotten caught in one of those little white lies, provided incorrect information, let something important fall through the cracks, missed a deadline, let someone down. How we've reacted, both publicly and privately, to being on the figurative hot seat, tests our character, impacts our self image, and becomes part of our reputation. 

Perhaps, like me, you have found that part of maturing in adulthood has been learning to accept accountability, to not point fingers or make excuses, but simply to say, "I screwed up." What I've learned is that it is far better to take that route than those excuses or avoidance tactics I'd used in the past. I've learned that I actually feel better when I step up right away rather than letting the disappointment linger. I've realized that the situation remains in perspective rather than becoming bigger in my mind than it really is, or, to keep the analogy going, the seat isn't as hot as I made it out to be. 

Marilyn

"Accountability breeds response-ability." (Stephen Covey)
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." (Harry Truman)

No comments:

Post a Comment