Sunday, February 04, 2018

I'd be lost without it

No matter your age, there are things that we now rely on that didn’t exist the first ten years of your life. For those of us with more decades, that simply means more things.  But, whether you are a millennial or a boomer, we are all experiencing a rapid rate of change, including things that we would now be lost without. Our lives are fuller, our tasks easier, our choices greater. Take a minute to reflect and I’ll bet at least three things come to mind for you.

I’d be lost on the treadmill without my earbuds and phone that enable me to listen to a book and tune out the blaring music except for the beat that can give a rhythm to my strides. I’d be lost without that phone as my connection to others through calls, emails and texts and as a means to google, and without my iPad and computer on which to write. From Uber and GPS, which we literally might be lost without, in transportation to technology, from the arts to medicine, all areas of our lives have things we would be lost (or worse) without. 

But, there are many casualties to all of those beneficial things, and I think one of the greatest losses is silence. We are bombarded with noise, with the opportunity for noise, 24/7, so much so that many of us are uncomfortable in those rare moments of quiet. Not me. In fact, of late, I’ve been seeking it out more and more, reveling in the silence outdoors and in. It’s not always a peaceful or easy feeling, but ultimately it is calming and restful, and I’ve come to realize I’d be lost without it.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment